Monday, November 16, 2009

Black Bean Hummus


I love hummus of all sorts. It is a perfect snack especially if you are craving something crunchy and savory (actually, ruby and I have hummus and veggies for lunch often). I highly recommend the white bean and basil hummus from Trader Joes. I would love to find or invent a recipe for that one. Any takers?

This is an awesome hummus recipe compliments of my good friend, Symony. Think TExMEx hummus. It is quick, easy, and very yumidy! Thanks Symony!

Black Bean Hummus

2 cans black beans drained, some liquid reserved
2 T tahini
2 T jalapeno seeded and chopped *Note A*
2 T bean bean liquid
1 1/2 T vinegar *Note B*
1 tsp oil
1 clove of garlic chopped
2 T cumin
1 tsp salt or to taste

Blend in a food processor or blender. Add more of the reserved black bean liquid to reach desired consistency, if needed (like thick cake batter). Serve with sliced and chopped veggies such as carrots, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper, etc.

Note A- Any type of jalapenos will work or none at all depending on your family. Vary the amount depending on how spicy you like your food. I blend up the hummus without the jalapenos take out half for Ruby (she devours it, by the way) and then add the jalapenos for me. I tried this recipe last week with chipotles and it was great. Added a nice smokey dimension.

Note B- Any acid will work. You can add white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, etc. I actually use fresh lime juice if I have it available. Lemon juice will well work, also.

Yumidy tip: I never need a whole can of chipotles in adobo sauce at once; so I put the leftovers in a baggie and keep it in the freezer. I just slice off what I need for any given recipe.

Happy Dipping!

1 comment:

Suzanna said...

Yummy! Or should I say Yumidy? This recipe just sounds too delicious. I think I will have to indulge and make some!