Friday, November 13, 2009

Why Yumidy?


There is a revolution going on in my life. A wake up call. A majority of Americans are overweight, fat, obese- on top of that most Americans, even if they are not overweight do not feel well, experiencing chronic fatigue and pain as well as a whole range of more serious conditions. A perfect storm of events happened so that I realized I needed to change the way I feed and fuel myself and my life.

Based on research, deep thought, and personal experience I have chosen to follow a primarily botanical diet that is nutrient rich, power-packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and phytochemicals- all the good stuff. My sister calls this SuperFoods eating.

Admittedly it is difficult to eat and live this way in the carb rich, fat laden, processed, food additive, nutrient-poor, refined sugar food world. My sister is on a similar even more difficult journey. This blog was started out of our conversations about eating to feel good and be truly healthy and how to do it. "Yumidy" came out of a conversation when I was enthusiastically describing a dinner I had made with a beautiful mixed spring green salad juxtaposed next to spicy lentil curry- "It's just yumidy!"

These are the basis: lots of green leafy vegetables, vegetables, some amount of starchy vegetables, lots of mushrooms, fruit, nuts, and beans. That is basically it- you can fill in the avoid list. This blog will contain recipes that I have invented or found, as well as, tips and informational tidbits.

2 comments:

Booth Family said...

This "new" way of eating sounds great. How is Trevor taking it? Two eating ideas that I have become increasingly interested in are eating locally and eating sesonally. Are those ideas part of your eating plan? Just wondering. If they are, I highly recommed reading Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." It includes recipes!

Julie said...

Thanks Shannon for the book recommendation! Natasha Kewene-Hite recommended Michael Pollan's books which look fabulous (http://www.michaelpollan.com/). One book that kicked it off for me was "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman. Yes, eating locally and seasonally are part of this new way. Through teaching environmental science, I have a strong interest in this. Seasonally is optimal for vitamin and nutrient concentration so definitely a part. I am going to email you and explain a little more and hopefully get you to be an author.