Saturday, November 14, 2009

SuperGreens

I could never write and summarize all the benefits of green leafy vegetables from cancer fighting phytochemicals to immune boosting vitamins. Trust me on this one the verdict is out, green vegetables are super good!

Here is a nice summary of 12 "Hearty Greens" from Cooking Light: 12 Hearty Greens.

Yumidy tip: eat as many and as much variety of green leafy vegetables as possible.

Yumidy menu suggestion: Salads! Lots of salads made interesting by mixing lettuces with spring green mix and adding lots of toppings such as tomatoes, cucumbers, green bell peppers, corn, green onion, what ever your imagination can think of.

I often make a themed salad such as tex-mex which might have lots of greens topped with roasted corn (leftover grilled corn), diced avocado, green onion, black beans, and salsa (medium or hot to make it interesting). Other themes are Mediterranean (olives, green onion, kidney beans, roasted red pepper tapenade) or Asian (bean sprouts, cucumbers, carrots, asian vinaigrette). (I will soon post the recipe for the asian vinaigrette I invented and the roasted red pepper tapenade I fell in love with.)

No comments: